This week in brew disasters:Paul and Norm were up to the challenge of producing 10 gallons of
beer wort in 30 minutes 3 hours inside a drafty hall filled with randomly running children and less than sober people who have no idea that we were boiling liquid at the Rhythm and Brews festival in Lakeport, CA on Saturday, Saint Patrick’s Day, March 17, 2012.
Speaking of no ideas. I have no idea of how many health and safety codes we might have violated. I love brewing. Brew days just stoke me with excitement. But, if we were to do this again, I would like to see: signs to caution people to the dangers of boiling liquids, first aid supplies for burns and emergency medical technicians close by, cordons around the boil kettles, in other words a decent incident action plan (IAP).
Thankfully, no one was injured.
The yeast joined the wort at 6:45pm on Saturday and by 6am on Sunday the beer showed active fermentation.
Ingredients for Big Irish American Ale:
17.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2 oz Columbus hops (added at 20 minutes before flame off)
2 oz Centennial hops (added at 10 minutes before flame off)
2 oz Citra hops (added at 1 minute before flame off)
2 oz Amarillo Gold hops (added at 1 minute before flame off)
California Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP001)
After the yeast has been added and two weeks of fermentation here is the expected beer profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG (Measured 1.060)
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 44.5 IBU
Calories: 278 cal/pint
Est Color: 19.2 SRM
- This week on Brew Disasters: Laurel India pale ale (52beers.wordpress.com)
- Irish Brew 101 (sprbrewcrew.wordpress.com)
- This week on Brew Disasters: House Pale Ale (52beers.wordpress.com)
- Homebrewing: Make Your Own Red Ale (suburbanmen.com)
- How to Homebrew Beer (answers.com)
- Home-brewing notes: English Mild (patrickbeeson.com)
- St. Patty’s Day Brews – A beer expert shares his top picks (theinsider.retailmenot.com)
- Home-brewing notes: English IPA (patrickbeeson.com)
- Five great brews: A crafty approach to St. Patrick’s Day (pbpulse.com)
- This Week in Brew Disasters: Big Irish American Red Ale (52beers.wordpress.com)