Last November while on the Brewing Network, Rodger Davis and Julian Shrago announced a Pro/Am collaboration on Julian’s Laurel India Pale Ale. Rodger (then at Triple Rock) and Julian (at Beachwood BBQ Brewery) invited homebrewers to brew the same recipe that they would be brewing at their respective breweries.
I brewed it and was able to compare it to the Triple Rock and Beachwood versions (Beachwood “Burtonized” their water and that changed the taste completely). The Triple Rock and Beachwood versions were radically different. To my taste, the Burtonizing of the water for Beachwood’s gave it a tinge of diesel.
Without Burtonizing, Laurel is now my go-to IPA and we here at Flog This Dead Brewery are now running dangerously low.
Here’s my recipe (65% efficiency):
14 lbs 2-Row Malt (94.3%)
7.75 oz Carapils (Dextrin) Malt (3.3%)
5.75 oz Crystal 40L Malt (2.4%)
0.8 oz Amarillo – First wort hopped
0.55 oz Summit – 60 minutes from end
0.75 oz Centennial – 30 Min From End
0.3 oz Simcoe – 10 Min From End
0.3 oz Columbus(Tomahawk) – 10 Min From End
0.5 oz Amarillo – At turn off
1.30 oz Cascade – Dry-Hopped
1.30 oz Summit – Dry-Hopped
1.30 oz Amarillo – Dry-Hopped
White labs WLP001- California Ale
For an extract, try 6.9 lbs of dry light malt extract and steeping 0.4 lbs carapils and 0.3 lbs of caramel 40 at 160F or so.
Here is Julian Shrago’s recipe:
THE LAUREL IPA
– 5 gallon batch at 75% efficiency –
* 11.5 lbs. American 2-row malt
* 0.4 lbs. Carapils malt
* 0.3 lbs. Crystal 40 malt
Mash @ 151 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
90 minute boil
* 0.8 oz. Amarillo pellets (9.6% AA) for first wort hop (FWH)
* 0.55 oz. Summit pellets (18% AA) for 60 minutes
* 0.75 oz. Centennial pellets (9.2% AA) for 30 minutes
* 0.3 oz. each Simcoe (12.2) and Columbus pellets (14.0) for 10 minutes
* 0.5 oz. Amarillo pellets (9.6% AA) at flameout/whirlpool
* Dry hops: 1.3oz each Amarillo, Centennial, and Summit pellets for two weeks
- This week on Brew Disasters: Laurel India pale ale (52beers.wordpress.com)
- Intermdiate Follow-up on “This week on Brew Disasters: Laurel IPA” (52beers.wordpress.com)
- This week on Brew Disasters: Bottling Batch #2 of Laurel IPA (52beers.wordpress.com)