This is the Zeus hop bine ((Humulus lupulus var. whotheheckknowsii), part of the CTZ–Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus–hops triad) that has grown to the railing of my deck on the second story. And, it has started flowering.
So far, the Zeus are much more aggressive (taller and flowering) than the other hops that I planted. One of those was growing great guns and then died, possibly from a mildew, but it could have been mites or aphids.
- Growing Hops in Containers. (byo.com)
- Growing Hops. (growinghopsyourself.com)
- Where to Buy Hop Rhizomes (growinghopsyourself.com)
- Hops in Southern California. (rootsimple.com)
- Hot water treatment of hop rhizomes for nematode control. (californiaagriculture.ucanr.org)
- Growing my own hops (52beers.wordpress.com)